Listing cleanup (sometimes referred to as Citation cleanup) is the process of updating existing listings or presences to:
- Fix incorrect information.
- Add missing information.
- Add photos, videos and other resources to improve the listing.
As part of this process you may also perform the following:
- Claim listings.
- Record credentials in a place where the listings can be managed in the future (most likely by other people).
- Remove listings from myPresences that are not for your business.
- Remove duplicate listings.
- Remove listings from low quality services.
If the service supports reviews you may also want to generate reviews on the listing.
Why is it important to cleanup listings
The are a number of benefits to cleaning up your listings.
If your core information (Name, Address, PhoneNumber or Website) then it is more important for you to cleanup these listings as they may be contributing to lower rankings in search.
Some benefits include:
- ranking better in search
- appearing in correct searches using on site searches
- customers have correct information and don't have a bad experience contacting you
- your listings are more likely to convert people to customers
Using myPresences to cleanup listings
myPresences helps you determine what needs to be fixed or improved and also helps with the process of cleaning up listings.
Before you start
Before you start cleaning up your listings there are a number of things you should do.
- Complete your base profile. This allows us to show you where information is incorrect online.
- Install the agent. To help you update information directly from myPresences.
- Find and add other listings. Try to cleanup all of your listings. We may have missed some.
- Gather existing account credentials. Store these in myPresences with your existing listings.
- Have an email address you use for managing listings.
When cleaning up your listings you should prioritise based on 2 factors.
- Problems with your NAPW. These affect your ranking and are core information about your business.
- Important sites. Focus on services with a higher importance first.
Get some help
Listing cleanup can be time consuming and is ideally suited to a VA or someone who can be hired to perform listing cleanup for you.
People helping you with citation cleanup can access your myPresences account to make the cleanup process as efficient as possible.
- Create a role for Listing Management. Give this role access to the Presences page so that they only see presences.
- Add people to your account and give them access to the business's they need.
- Set their role to the listing management role.
- Use the presence issues tab to manage the process.
- Store your credentials in myPresences with the listings (credentials tab)
- Use the Agent to paste and update data directly from your profile.
- Use the action buttons on each presence listing to know where to go.